Friday, March 13, 2009

MY FAVORITE PART OF THE TRIP

Machu Picchu was awesome but how many people can say they dressed up in authentic Uru Reed Island clothing and danced with the people of the Reed Islands. I Loved going on the Reed boat from one island to another island, it was cold but well worth it. I can´t believe that people are able to eat the reeds and actually do eat the reeds. I had so much fun meeting a Uru Reed Island woman and wearing a skirt, coat and colorful hat that of course was too big while dancing to the flutes and drum. I loved living a different culture that is why I like to go on these trips. I also enjoyed the breathtaking views from Tanquilla Island which was an hour by boat away from the Uru Reed Islands. I thought it was crazy how the Uru islanders speak Aymara while the Tanquilla islanders speak Quecha and they are only an hour apart by boat. We learned that the Uru islands last 15 to 25 years and can be built in year. The Uru islanders beds made out of reeds looked surprsingly comfortable. But I had to go pee in a bucket in a little reed hut. It was sure an experience. I will never forget the Uru Reed islands and the people that inhabit them. It was also interesting that on Taquille Island both the men and the women weave unlike the other places in Peru where mostly women do the weaving.

-Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment